The Ballinasloe Library development of the former Mercy Sisters Convent (c 1850) consists of a public library and gallery space, together with office and associated uses. The original convent terrace group, consisting of three houses circa 1850, a lower two-bay house circa 1860, and the attached chapel, are individually listed as protected structures in the Galway County Council Development plan.
The new development accommodates the library and ancillary uses within the ground floor of the terrace. The chapel space on the first floor level is used as a public gallery / function space connected to the terrace by a new purpose-built linking structure.
Storage Systems Limited installed the Library shelving to the public library area located on the ground floor along with the library furniture which has been transformed the building into a stylish modern public library.